Welcome, Guest
Joomdle 1.0 Installation

TOPIC: XML-RPC Error (704): The RPC service is not running on this

XML-RPC Error (704): The RPC service is not running on this 2 weeks 2 days ago #1

• michaelhermary
Hello
Earlier today I upgraded Joomdle on our development site (gaiacollege.net). Since then our live site (gaiacollege.ca) is giving this error message when logging in: XML-RPC Error (704): The RPC service is not running on this host.

Is there something in the Joomdle code that would impact the live site when installed on the development site? Our live website is currently inaccessible to students so we would like to resolve this as soon as possible.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

joomdle licencing - phoning home? 2 weeks 2 days ago #2

• michaelhermary
Hello,

We are using joomdle 0.95 on our live site to connect with our moodle 1.9 installation. We also had this replicated on our dev site.

We installed the current version of joomdle on our dev site to test it with a moodle 3.5 install on that site. This install overwrote part of the joomdle 0.95 install on the dev site.

Our live site now has a "XML-RPC Error (704): The RPC service is not running on this host." and no one can log from the frontend.

On our dev site I restored a backup from yesterday to try and use that site for testing possible fixes for the live site and now our dev site as the same problem and the same "XML-RPC Error (704): The RPC service is not running on this host."

The only thing I can think is that the joomdle 0.95 is checking licensing and quitting.

Does joomdle phone home to check licensing?

We need to resolve this ASAP.

Thanks,
Michael

joomdle licencing - phoning home? 2 weeks 2 days ago #3

• Antonio Durán
For reference:
The problem was that mnet_dispatcher_mode was disabled in Moodle configuration.
docs.moodle.org/dev/MNet

Also: Joomdle does not do any phone home or license check for Joomdle normal work. License is only used to allow auto-upgrading of 3rd party integration plugins.

joomdle licencing - phoning home? 2 weeks 1 day ago #4

• michaelhermary
Thank you Antonio!

I just want to add that moodle networking was disabled by accessing Administration->Networking->Settings in our moodle. We haven't identified exactly why but we did switch our site over to full SSL/TSL security last year. I suspect something in the code is trying run checks through an un-encrypted URL and breaks because we force encryption for the entire site. This results in a networking reset to the default mnet_dispatcher_mode value of 'off'. Setting the mnet_dispatcher_mode to 'strict' in the moodle config database table as we can not change it through the moodle interface.

joomdle licencing - phoning home? 2 weeks 1 day ago #5

• Antonio Durán
Great, thanks for taking the time to explain, as it can help other users.