Welcome, Guest
Joomdle 1.0 Installation

TOPIC: Odd issue where Joomla and Moodle are no longer connecting

Odd issue where Joomla and Moodle are no longer connecting 1 week 6 days ago #1

• Eric vanBok
I have a website that has been running for a long time without issues. We use HikaShop to sell courses, and Joomdle to connect those purchases with Moodle enrollment. It works perfectly for us.

Or at least it did until recently.

All of a sudden Joomla and Moodle are not communicating. I do a System Check and I see red X's on the following:

Joomla to Moodle HTTP connectivity - Joomla cannot connect to Moodle
Moodle to Joomla HTTP connectivity - Moodle cannot connect to Joomla
Joomdle Web Services - Received empty response from Moodle

Nothing on the website has changed drastically. I did update to Joomla 3.9.1, but I have other Joomla/Joomdle/Moodle websites that are on that version without issues. I have gone over the configuration over and over and everything is correct. The correct tokens where they need to be, the correct URLs. The joomdle plugin in Moodle is enabled.

Anyone have any thoughts what could cause this. I am at a loss to explain what is happening.

Joomla 3.9.1
Joomdle 1.2.1
Moodle 3.3.1
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Odd issue where Joomla and Moodle are no longer connecting 1 week 6 days ago #2

• Eric vanBok
I just checked another website with courses that I manage has the same issue. A third a fourth website though, with essentially the same setup and config are fine.

I am just baffled. Let me know if you have any thoughts at all.

Odd issue where Joomla and Moodle are no longer connecting 1 week 6 days ago #3

• Antonio Durán
Hi.

Most probably this is caused by some change in server configuration, like some new security measures, DNS changes...
From the error messages it seems that the server cannot connect to itself.

What I would do is debug the problem. First thing you can try is using this script, entering your URL. You can upload it to the server and access it via browser, to see if a normal connection is going through:
<?php
$a = file_get_contents ('URL');
echo $a;

Odd issue where Joomla and Moodle are no longer connecting 1 week 4 days ago #4

• Eric vanBok
Thanks for your guidance.

In the end, I was able to fix this, but I still don't understand the root cause. I was scouring the forums and found someone else who had a similar issue and they fixed it as they were playing around with PHP versions. For grins, I gave it a try.

I moved both websites having issues from PHP 7.1 to PHP 7.0, and then back. That fixed the issue. Obviously, there was a PHP issue on the server and me swapping versions for the hosting accounts fixed the problem.

Even those this is resolved, I still don't know the root cause, which is unsettling.

I have a separate issue now. It might be somewhat related, but I will start a new thread as it is a new issue.

Odd issue where Joomla and Moodle are no longer connecting 1 week 3 days ago #5

• Antonio Durán
Glad to know it is fixed, even if we don't know the cause :(