× Joomdle 1.0 Installation

Same Domain

2 months 3 weeks ago 2 months 3 weeks ago by Adolfina Bory Palobo.
Adolfina Bory Palobo
More
Topic Author
Same Domain #1
Hi,

I am trying to follow what seems best practice with Joomdle - to have Joomla and Moodle running on the same domain. I wondered if you could publish example configurations for this? One for for Nginx (my interest) and one for Apache (others)?

I believe most of us here are familiar with having two server definitions for two htdoc subdirectories but what is desired is:

<domain> as the url for Joomla and <domain>/moodle as the url for Moodle.

Under Nginx this should be accomplished using the alias directive as per the example herehere k.

Using a simple nginx config for joomla:
server {
	listen joomla.localdomain:80;
	server_name joomla.localdomain;
	root /srv/http/joomla;
	index index.php index.phtml index.html;
        location / {
                try_files $uri $uri/ /index.php?$args;
        }

location ~ \.php$ {
		include /etc/nginx/fastcgi.conf;
		fastcgi_pass php;
	}
}

How do I add an alias for moodle stored under /srv/http/moodle? There is a ton of contradictory stuff on the net about this and I have tried for days.
Attachments:
2 months 3 weeks ago
Antonio Durán
More
Same Domain #2
Hi.

I don't really know what you are trying to achieve.

> <domain> as the url for Joomla and <domain>/moodle as the url for Moodle.

For this, there's really not much to configure: set up site for Joomla. Then, inside Joomla folder, create moodle/ (or courses or whatever you want to call it), and you will have it available at yourjoomla.com/moodle

If for some reason you want to have them separated, but act as they were one inside the other, I am sorry, but I don't have much experience with Nginx to help you. Also, I don't think this question has ever popped before, as most people just use the procedure I described.
2 months 2 weeks ago
Adolfina Bory Palobo
More
Topic Author
Same Domain #3
The wrapper does not work for Geogebra and Mathjax when Moodle is on a different domain.

Are their any negative consequences of putting Moodle in a subdirectory of Joomla?

- Backup
- Server configuration - can a single server definition satisfy both Moodle and Joomla?
- Will the above server definition be easily understandable?

In the wiki, it states:

Before installing Joomdle ensure you have installed and configured the following:

Joomla 3.x
Moodle >= 3.2
XML-RPC for PHP
Any 3rd party Joomla extensions you wish to integrate with Joomdle. Note It is possible to integrate with 3rd party products after Joomdle has been installed and configured.

It does not instruct to " inside Joomla folder, create moodle/ (or courses or whatever you want to call it), and you will have it available at yourjoomla.com/moodle"
2 months 2 weeks ago
Antonio Durán
More
Same Domain #4
> The wrapper does not work for Geogebra and Mathjax when Moodle is on a different domain.

I don't get this... if wrapper is working, content should not matter. ie: it just shows Moodle inside an iframe.

When Moodle and Joomla are on different domains, you need to adjust configuration. Also redirect-less SSO won't work, and wrapper aut-height could have more problems.

> Are their any negative consequences of putting Moodle in a subdirectory of Joomla?

No, this is the most used configuration.

> It does not instruct to " inside Joomla folder, create moodle/ (or courses or whatever you want to call it), and you will have it available at yourjoomla.com/moodle"

It does instruct you to install Moodle. However/wherever you want to install it is up to you. I just gave you the most usual configuration.

> - Server configuration - can a single server definition satisfy both Moodle and Joomla?

Yes. Think of it as only a site, with a subfolder in it.
2 months 2 weeks ago
Adolfina Bory Palobo
More
Topic Author
Same Domain #5
>I don't get this... if wrapper is working, content should not matter. ie: it just shows Moodle inside an iframe.

And I believe Iframes are touchy about javascript not from the same domain.
I attached several screenshots showing iMathjax not working with Wrapper.

Happily, the problem is resolved.
The example on using the alias directive I gave above works fine, one just has to remember to alter Moodle's config.php to reflect the new "location" it is being served from <joomla url>/moodle.

Mathjax is now working fine now in via the Wrapper. I suppose Geogebra too (I'll post again here if not).

Thanks for all your advice.
Cron Job Starts