Welcome, Guest
Social Extensions Integration

TOPIC: Phone number joomdle crush

Phone number joomdle crush 2 years 8 months ago #1

• Iliya
Hi!
I have joomla +jomsocial + joomdle + moodle. Profile type intagration and so on..

When new user register via jomsocial and fill phone number form with lot of symbols, it cause joomdle crush. I think that moodle have some restrictions for this pole, but joomsocial have not.

To check it you can register user with phone number like "+ 7 - (123) - 456 - 89 - 00" or "8 123 456 78 90; (8 098 765 43 21)"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Phone number joomdle crush 2 years 8 months ago #2

• Antonio Durán
Thanks for the info. We will look at it to see if we can add a check.

Phone number joomdle crush 2 years 8 months ago #3

• Chris
Does Jomsocial not have the ability to specify validation rules on the data entry?

Phone number joomdle crush 2 years 8 months ago #4

• Iliya
Now I look at it, and yes jomsocial can.
But it is hard to guess that, when I enable profile type integration, I must set jomsocial pole character limit before.
Is it possible that joomdle will change jomsocial settings, or maybe joomdle will show some message about in while user enable profile type integration.

Phone number joomdle crush 2 years 8 months ago #5

• Chris
While Antonio is looking at this, there are still a few practical issues ....
a) Joomdle can block / filter various characters, change settings, or give messages, however Joomdle does not manage the registration process nor interface for registration. This is the task of, in your case Jomsocial, joomla, easysocial, easyprofile, vm, hikashop, etc. And thus we are really talking about doing something to all of these which is not practical and most likely not possible because each extension would manage data validation in a different way. At best, for consistency, Joomdle could spit out some general error message.
b) As a site owner myself, I would not want a product like Joomdle sending error messages to my front end during registration Personally I rather my front end extension managing the error messages for consistency / UI reasons.
c) I think, the most practical would be a warning message at the back end, like you have suggested, just alerting the system admin that they need to be cautious of such. That said, this goes with almost every configuration option as "things" need to be considered when integrating platforms. Whether it be a warning for illegal characters, spaces on names, ensuring tokens, turning on curl, etc. etc. the list goes on. End of the day, IMO, this is really knowing the platforms limitations as a developer / administrator / owner and perhaps the best thing is simply a note in the documentation / FAQ where it is easy to manage a list of things to watch out for.

Phone number joomdle crush 2 years 8 months ago #6

• Antonio Durán
I have done some testing and problem is field lenght. Moodle has a limit of 20 for telephone fields.

As Chris says, it would not be Joomdle giving any warnings. If you want to restrict field lenght, you should do it in Jomsocial.

That said, Joomdle should also include checks for this, and restrict data entered to database, so this fatal error does not happens. So, what Joomdle would do is to cut out the field to the allowed lenght.
If you don't set a limit in Jomsocial, field could be different in Jomsocial and Moodle, maybe causing issues.

So, I will put this in our TODO list for next release. In the meantime, you can prevent the error by setting a 20 char limit in phone fields in Jomsocial.

Phone number joomdle crush 2 years 8 months ago #7

• Iliya
ok, thank you )