× Experiences & Stories

Please do NOT use this section of the forum to request help if Joomdle does not work for you in some particular way. Your post will be deleted.

off topic - hostgator

12 years 3 weeks ago
Marcos
More
Topic Author
off topic - hostgator #1
Hi!
I know this is an off topic (hence the title of the post) but I would like to have your opinion on this.
I am thinking on changing my hosting company as I had som problems with my site performance. So I want your opinion on using hostgator

Is it fast?
does it support last moodle version?

Of course I will use the link on this site to hire them.

thxs a lot

Astier

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 3 weeks ago
Chris
More
off topic - hostgator #2
As it relates to moodle, one of the key things is to ensure that the hosting company supports xml-rpc. Without support for this joomdle and moodle will not connect. There are others that support this such as bluehost and siteground (I have not validated this for at least 1.5 years). We put up hostgator primarily because 1) we know it supports xml-rpc, 2) support is reasonable 3) performance was comparable.

You may wish to do a hosting company comparison search on google, take the top 5 to 10 (depending on how much work you want to do) and do a paper comparison using the online reviews. Then check for xml-rpc and finally check your own for things like response time for support and performance.

Also, if they support for the latest moodle - do not plan for using cpanel to install the apps like fantastico or quick apps. These are normally old versions (no matter which hosting company you choose) and in many cases do not install all the moodle modules leaving you to log in and clean up the code. You will want to ensure the hosting company is using the "most recent" version of MYSQL and PHP to support J2.5 and Moodle 2.+

11 years 11 months ago
David Parker
More
off topic - hostgator #3
Recently moved to Host Gator, excellent support. I got the "business" option. Completely worth it and the speed has been excellent.

11 years 11 months ago
Chris
More
off topic - hostgator #4
Thanks for the feedback David. I have always liked them as well :) Their support is great.