× How To / General

Limit concurrent logins

3 weeks 6 days ago
Adolfina Bory Palobo
More
Topic Author
Limit concurrent logins #1
Hi,

In Moodle, Dashboard. Site administration. Plugins. Authentication there is a parameter 'Limit concurrent logins'. Moodle documentation states it will not work for SSO, and no surprise, my tests show it does not work with Joomdle.

I believe for for setups using a shop, this is a tremendous issue. One subscriber can pass his login without limit!

Please advise.
3 weeks 5 days ago
Antonio Durán
More
Limit concurrent logins #2
Hi.

I didn't know about that option, and no one has asked about it before.

As you say, this won't work for SSO. What you can try is implement some plugin to restrict concurrent logins in Joomla, and see if that helps.
3 weeks 5 days ago
Adolfina Bory Palobo
More
Topic Author
Limit concurrent logins #3
Hi,

In the JED there is

1. Authentication - Session Limit
2. Login One!

The provider of 1 has gone AWOL - questions left unanswered for over 8 months; but it appears to work at the session level - which is good.

2. Appears to work at ip level - I emailed the author. If not working at session level it is no good: internet cafes can pack in 100 people. I'll post here if I get an answer. But it also appeared to screw up SSO.

Any idea why SSO prevents that Moodle option from working? Can anything be done? For shops it is a serious issue.
3 weeks 5 days ago
Adolfina Bory Palobo
More
Topic Author
Limit concurrent logins #4
For a shop, if there is a choice to be made between SSO and Limiting Sessions then clearly Limiting Sessions wins. Credentials may be saved in the browser, so he should never need to enter credentials after the first login.

But I just tested on a LAN and it did not work. I was able to login to a course from two separate computers.

In Moodle
Plugins. Authentication: Limit concurrent logins=1

Plugins. Authentication. Joomdle: Use redirect-less SSO: Unchecked

In Joomla
Joomdle: Configuration: Connection method=curl Use redirectless SSO=No Use redirectless logout=No

I would appreciate it if someone else could check.
3 weeks 2 days ago
Antonio Durán
More
Limit concurrent logins #5
What you disabled in Joomdle is redirect-less SSO, not SSO in general: SSO still happens, with redirects.

In order to have a Moodle user not perform SSO, his auth method must be 'manual', and not 'joomdle'.

Now, there is no way in Joomdle to make it sync accounts, and not make them SSO, as all users are created with "joomdle" as auth method.
If you want to do that you would need to modify Joomdle code, to use manual method instead of Joomdle. That way accounts would be synced (ie: Joomla will create Moodle account) but Moodle user will have manual auth method.
3 weeks 2 days ago 3 weeks 2 days ago by Adolfina Bory Palobo.
Adolfina Bory Palobo
More
Topic Author
Limit concurrent logins #6
Hi Antonio

Thanks for the info.

Just to summarize my experience so far:

Features:

SHARED-DOMAIN for Moodle and Joomla
WRAPPER of Moodle within Joomla.
SYNC of accounts.
SSO
1SESSION per user.

SSO is needed for SYNC, but Moodle 1SESSION is incompatible with SSO.
SHARED-DOMAIN is needed for WRAPPER

Possible solutions:

1. Fix Moodle SSO/1SESSION incompatibility in Moodle (a long shot!)
2. Try 1SESSION Joomla plugins (in progress)
3. SHARED-DOMAIN but limit web server access of Moodle subdirectory to 127.0.0.1. In nginx:
location /moodle {
allow 127.0.0.1;
# drop rest of the world
deny all;
}
Joomdle bridge will use 127.0.0.1, but users will not be able to sign in to Moodle directly. Joomdle's 127.0.0.1 access will pull their data into Joomla.
1 week 2 days ago
Adolfina Bory Palobo
More
Topic Author
Limit concurrent logins #7
The developer of the Joomla plugin I hoped might help is unresponsive.

In any case, preventing multiple sessions in Joomla will probably not prevent multiple sessions in Moodle.
Some sort of prevention of direct login to Moodle would also be required..

Therefore I have moved on to the idea expressed here:
www.joomdle.com/forum/installation/12511...te-no-wrapper-no-sso k