× How To / General

Login trouble

5 days 4 hours ago
ArchieBA
More
Topic Author
Login trouble #1
Hi,

When people log in the joomla site, at some point they go to the moodle site. (two domains)

Recently when hitting the moodle site page the site asks them to login again (directly on the moodle site). When they enter the username and password, it doesn't work.

It doesn't happen to everyone. When testing around, I was able to replicate it with an iphone 7. But could get it to work with an Ipad 2 (same account). but, it is not limited to an iphone. I have someone that can't login the moodle site with a windows 10.

The site uses VM as login, so its a VM, joomla and joomdle intergration.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
5 days 4 hours ago 5 days 4 hours ago by Antonio Durán.
Antonio Durán
More
Login trouble #2
Hi.

It seems that's a hard problem, if you have trouble replicating it.

Did it work before for these same users with the same devices?

Have you looked at your system check page so it consistently stays all green? I've seen strange scenarios where some kind of load balancer was messing with IP addresses and giving weird results.

Did you test several times with the iphone 7 and it always failed? Do you have one so you can test a different times/days?

Can you log in normally directly in Moodle login page with a joomdle account in your computer?
5 days 3 hours ago 5 days 3 hours ago by ArchieBA.
ArchieBA
More
Topic Author
Login trouble #3
Yes at some point it did work.

Yes system check is the first thing I check and it is all green.

Yes I did it several times with the Iphone 7. It doesn't work when I am on the wifi but it works on the LTE. (I had not noticed this before you told me)

Yes I can log in normaly in the moodle login page.

So it seems the wifi, in this case, has something to do with it. But the Ipad 2 and the computer is on the same wifi and it works just fine.

Not sure what I can tell other people who are having this issue.
5 days 3 hours ago
Antonio Durán
More
Login trouble #4
My bet would be that this has to do with the redirect involved in Single Sign On. You can usually avoid this by using redirect-less SSO, but you need to have Joomla and Moodle on the same domain for this to work, and you say you have 2 domains.

As for the strange behaviour: I don't really know why it would work on a network and not the other, or why similar devices work differently, sorry.

You can turn on redirect-less SSO for a moment in Moodle, and try to log in. If the problem is with redirects, you should be able to log in to Moodle, even if SSO to Joomla will nor work.
5 days 2 hours ago
ArchieBA
More
Topic Author
Login trouble #5
So I turned on SSO in moodle and the Iphone doesn't work in LTE or Wifi. Not sure what that tells us...

I turned it back to the file_get_content where it was before and then the Iphone on LTE gets logged in again.

I backup up the browser, turned on wifi and when I tried to enter the moodle, it was asking for the login.
4 days 15 hours ago
Antonio Durán
More
Login trouble #6
You said you have Joomla and Moodle on different domains, so redirect-less SSO won't work with any device. Redirect-less SSO needs Joomla and Moodle on the same domain.
4 days 7 hours ago
ArchieBA
More
Topic Author
Login trouble #7
This morning it still did not work on the Iphone. So I used a different browser (firefox focus instead if safari) I tried it on the wifi and LTE and worked for both.

So... for now I can probably get around it. I will try to monitor this and see what I can find.
4 days 4 hours ago
Antonio Durán
More
Login trouble #8
That would mean that the problem is with Safari browser....although I don't know why that would be.

If you can, you could set up a test site with redirect-less SSO and test with the iphone to see if that would help, in case you can move to that setup in the future.
Cron Job Starts