× Joomdle 1.0 Installation

Separate Shop Site - No Wrapper. No SSO

3 months 1 week ago
Adolfina Bory Palobo
More
Topic Author
Separate Shop Site - No Wrapper. No SSO #1
Hello,

Due to the limit-concurrent-logins limit-concurrent-logins k issue I would like to have a separate Moodle site that students use 99% of the time. The shop site would only be used for purchase when and as necessary. Due to the issue linked to above, Moodle requires SSO to be disabled in order to enable multiple concurrent logins prevention. Without this, there is a high risk that students discover they can share logins and the shop concept is defeated. Therefore I would like to know if the following is feasible:

No Wrapper.
No SSO
Joomdle plugins (courses, shop, etc) working in Joomla.

Would the above disable Joomdle Moodle/Joomla login sync? If so I believe this part is easily done with database triggers.

If this all works there would be a need for some development to facilitate course purchase in Moodle. For example a button in Moodle that links to the relevant url in the shop site. I am prepared to pay for this development - it seems the only way to have a risk free shop.

Best regards
3 months 1 week ago
Antonio Durán
More
Separate Shop Site - No Wrapper. No SSO #2
Hi.

What you suggest is changing Joomdle behaviour, so I would really recommend to rule out other options before going this route.
Usually people don't care about students sharing logins, as you get a certificate at the end of the course, and only real student can get it.

Also, I think limiting concurrent logins can be a pain: if I am logged in a computer, and don't log out, and then 5 minutes later I try to open in my mobile, I won't be able to do it.

If you really decide you need to go this route, I would first make sure that there is nothing in Joomla that can help: I think Moodle logins would also be controlled, as with Joomdle login is perfomed always on Joomla side, even if you log in from Moodle login window.

If you cannot find anything: you would need to modify Joomdle, so that it syncs accounts between Joomla and Moodle, but it does not use Joomdle auth method, so there is no SSO. I don't know how hard this could be, as it would change a core funcionality in Joomdle.

> If this all works there would be a need for some development to facilitate course purchase in Moodle. For example a button in Moodle that links to the relevant url in the shop site

That's already offered by Joomdle enrol plugin for Moodle.
3 months 6 days ago 3 months 6 days ago by Adolfina Bory Palobo.
Adolfina Bory Palobo
More
Topic Author
Separate Shop Site - No Wrapper. No SSO #3
Hi Antonio

> Usually people don't care about students sharing logins, as you get a certificate at the end of the course, and only real student can get it.

I understand, but for the use case I have in mind - certificates are not important.

> Also, I think limiting concurrent logins can be a pain: if I am logged in a computer, and don't log out, and then 5 minutes later I try to open in my mobile, I won't be able to do it.

In the target country, 99% of internet use is via mobile. And isn't that's another reason for allowing/encouraging direct Moodle access?: namely the Moodle Mobile app - I briefly tested locally with the Nginx alias directive (for domain sharing) and the mobile app it didn't work.

> If you really decide you need to go this route, I would first make sure that there is nothing in Joomla that can help: I think Moodle logins would also be controlled, as with Joomdle login is perfomed always on Joomla side, even if you log in from Moodle login window.

I hoped a Joomla plugin might work but alas not yet - the providers of session protection are not responsive. I'll push harder to get a result on this subject.

> If you cannot find anything: you would need to modify Joomdle, so that it syncs accounts between Joomla and Moodle, but it does not use Joomdle auth method, so there is no SSO. I don't know how hard this could be, as it would change a core funcionality in Joomdle.

As mentioned, Mysql database triggers would easily sync logins (insert, update). I suppose Joomdle retrieves the Category/course/Teacher/ data via Moodle API - but does this data fetch require auth_joomdle? Won't the Joomla/Moodle web services setup be enough for the shop plugins to function?
3 months 6 days ago
Antonio Durán
More
Separate Shop Site - No Wrapper. No SSO #4
Mobile app should work with Joomdle, assuming eveything is set up correctly.
But you are not going to use Joomdle auth anyway, so it does not really matter.

> , Mysql database triggers would easily sync logins (insert, update)

Sorry, I don't know what you mean there.

> I suppose Joomdle retrieves the Category/course/Teacher/ data via Moodle API - but does this data fetch require auth_joomdle?

Not really. Joomdle provides its own web services API, separate from Moodle's. That's because we have many custom functions, and also because Joomdle is older than current Moodle web services implementation.

> Won't the Joomla/Moodle web services setup be enough for the shop plugins to function?

Maybe. But then you are looking at creating a new system yourself, not using Joomdle. I think that would be quite more complicated and costly than adapting Joomdle to work for your needs.
Cron Job Starts