13 years 7 months ago
Jonathan
More
Topic Author
Bulk Upload Into Moodle Doesn't Provision Joomla #1
Hi There,

I took the following steps:

1. Bulk upload into Moodle with password passed in
2. From the Joomdle Configuration Manager I selected a sample user (from the bulk upload) and clicked "Add User to Joomla"
3. Clicked "Migrate user to Joomdle"
4. In the Joomla User Manager I clicked "Enable" user, which was set to disabled.

When I try to log in with that user, I am given an error message saying that User Id/Password don't match or there is no account set up yet.

Should this functionality work? If so, am I doing something wrong?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 7 months ago
Chris
More
Bulk Upload Into Moodle Doesn't Provision Joomla #2
Just an acknowledgment of your post. We will need to get back to you on this one.

13 years 7 months ago
Antonio Durán
More
Bulk Upload Into Moodle Doesn't Provision Joomla #3
I did not test with bulk upload, but with normal user creation in Moodle. Should work the same.

Process is:
- Create user in moodle
- Go to Joomdle admin, create user in joomla and migrate him to joomdle
A new password is generated for the user (as Joomla cannot know the plain Moodle password) and an email is sent to him containing:
* activation link
* new password to log into the system

So I guess you did not see the email being sent?

13 years 7 months ago
Jonathan
More
Topic Author
Bulk Upload Into Moodle Doesn't Provision Joomla #4
Hi There,

My SMTP had been disabled on my local environment so had not received any welcome emails. (But shouldn't that step be obviated by the fact that in the User Configuration of Joomla I can directly enable users? Anyway...)

Here are the steps I took:
    Bulk uploaded a few users with passwords explicitly set in one of the columns.
    In the Joomdle Config Console I added them to Joomla and Joomdle.
    Clicked on the link in the confirm account email that arrived.
    Logged into Joomla using the temp password provided in the email.
    Was forced to change my password in Joomla (good).
    Then, when I went to Moodle, was forced to change password again! (not good. Doesn't this break the concept of Single Signon?

Just to see what happened, I went ahead and changed my password in Moodle as well. The temporary "old" password for Moodle was the one in the bulk upload spreadsheet, whereas the temp password in Joomla was the randomly generated one provided in the email.

Is there a way to not have the user have to recreate a password on both accounts? That could be pretty confusing for a user expecting Single Signon.

Thanks

13 years 7 months ago
Antonio Durán
More
Bulk Upload Into Moodle Doesn't Provision Joomla #5
You are right, taht should not be happening at all.

So, when you went to moodle, were you already logged in?
Were you required to change password or fill your full profile? If you are not completing all required fields with bulk upload, that will always happen, that you are prompted to complete your details.

Check that the auth method for the user you are testing with is set to Joomdle.
Also, check it is not an admin user.

When I try to force a password change for one of my joomdle user, and log with him, I get an error saying there is no page to change password (which is OK, as joomdle users should not change any passwords in moodle)

13 years 7 months ago
Jonathan
More
Topic Author
Bulk Upload Into Moodle Doesn't Provision Joomla #6
Hi there,

I redid the test. Now, after clicking the validation link in the email and then logging in on Joomla (using the temp password supplied in the email), I am immediately taken to a Moodle page that says: 'You cannot proceed without changing your password, however there is no available page for changing it. Please contact your Moodle Administrator."

Also, what is the proper way for forcing a user to change passwords? (assuming that it needs to remain SSO)?

Thanks!

13 years 7 months ago
Antonio Durán
More
Bulk Upload Into Moodle Doesn't Provision Joomla #7
Ok, that sounds better.

The problem here is the conbination of bulk upload (which forces users to change their passwords) and the fact that Joomdle auth method has no way of changing passwords.

So, solution here is to not force users to change password in moodle.
I guess you don't have an option for that in bulk uploading, so a way to do it would be updating the database directly:
update mdl_user_preferences set value=0 where name='auth_forcepasswordchange';

This would need to be done after you created all the users in Moodle.

13 years 6 months ago
Jonathan
More
Topic Author
Bulk Upload Into Moodle Doesn't Provision Joomla #8
Hi Antonio, further to something you said on this thread, I have a question. Is it possible for a Joomdle-authenticated user to change his/her password?

Thanks

13 years 6 months ago
Antonio Durán
More
Bulk Upload Into Moodle Doesn't Provision Joomla #9
It is possible to do so in Joomla, yes.

Not really in Moodle, as they have no password there.

If you need to be able to change user password from moodle's profile page, new code would need to be developed that:
- in moodle, sends the new password (and other info to Joomdle) when updated (profile syncing from Moodle to Joomla)
- in joomla, code to receive the info and update the user data

13 years 6 months ago
Jonathan
More
Topic Author
Bulk Upload Into Moodle Doesn't Provision Joomla #10
Thanks. I can work around changing profile in Moodle. But can one change the password in Joomla? (using Joomdle, of course). Sorry if this is redundant. Ultimately I don't care where the password gets changed. After a bulk upload into moodle, and then after being added to Joomla, the user is sent an activation email with a strange, random password. I'd like the user to be able to activate and then change their password to something of their choosing. Does this make sense?