Displaying Moodle Content in Joomla
Whether it be for announcements, sales of online learning courses, course details, teacher's profiles or the latest class events, Joomdle enables you to display Moodle's content inside Joomla creating a seemless user interface for your students and giving your organisation a consistent brand keeping your customers coming back for more learning.
That's right, the world's leading Learning Management System (LMS) / Course Management System is accessible from inside Joomla, leveraging Joomla's world famous and easy to use templating and extension management framework. No more propietory and expensive Learning Management System, no more compromises on which features to provide your students. No more disperate online learning and customer portal environments.
The benefits are obvious:
- reduced training requirements,
- a simplified or minimalised Moodle interface,
- integration of Joomla Extensions with Moodle content,
- deployment of a complete school campus based entirely on open source solutions ie reduced costs,
- the power of Joomla templates for your students interface,
- leveraging Joomla's modules and views to present Moodle content,
- the list goes on and on ...
In general Moodle content can be displayed, through Joomla, in the following ways:
- Leveraging Joomla's component views to display Moodle content;
- Personalising your user's / student's experience;
- Managing course enrolments and subscriptions;
- Providing student and/or teacher ABC directories;
- Selling one or more Moodle courses through Joomla's many cart choices;
- Centralising purchasing and administrating of Moodle courses for corporations or parents; and
- Searching Moodle course information from within Joomla.
Single Sign-On (and off)
"Single sign-on (SSO) is a property of access control of multiple, related, but independent software systems. With this property a user logs in once and gains access to all systems without being prompted to log in again." Source Wikipedia
- Reduces phishing success, because users are not trained to enter password everywhere without thinking.
- Reducing password fatigue from different user name and password combinations
- Reducing time spent re-entering passwords for the same identity
- Can support conventional authentication such as Windows credentials (i.e., username/password)
- Reducing IT costs due to lower number of IT help desk calls about passwords
- Security on all levels of entry/exit/access to systems without the inconvenience of re-prompting users
- Centralized reporting for compliance adherence.
- SSO uses centralized authentication servers that all other applications and systems utilize for authentication purposes, and combines this with techniques to ensure that users do not actively have to enter their credentials more than once.
- SSO users need not remember so many passwords to login to different systems or applications." Source Wikipedia
Joomdle lets users log in to either Joomla or Moodle, making sure users are also logged to the other platform automatically.
Centralised User Profiles
Joomdle allows for the centralisation and syncronisation of user profiles ensuring consistency of user details between Joomla and Moodle and their associated extensions. In addition, you can choose whether to syncronise the user data from Joomla to Moodle or from Moodle to Joomla depending on your site's business policies. Furthermore, you can specify the source extension for the user details such as EasySocial, Hikashop, etc. This ensures you have consistent user data across both platforms, removes the need for entering user data in multiple locations and places the management of user details with the users themselves. Additional options allow you to
- map data fields in the Joomla extesions to the fields in Moodle so that you can control the data transferred / syncronised.
- lock the fields in Moodle to ensure the user's data is managed centraly reducing data errors and elimating double entry of data.
- map Joomla user groups or Joomla extension user profiles with Moodle roles (Student and Teacher roles only).
Currently, Joomdle allows for syncronisation of user details from the following Joomla extensions:
Selling Moodle Courses Online
Joomdle lets you sell Moodle courses using your favourite Joomla e-commerce or subscriptions extension. This have many advantages:
- You can use any payment processor supported by your e-commerce extension
- Users can buy several courses together, and even mix non-course products in the same cart
- Lets you create "course bundles" so you can offer products that are tied to several courses
Joomla Extensions Integration
Joomdle has been successfully integrated with a number of leading Joomla Extensions including:
- social networking tools;
- e-commerce / shopping cart functions;
- subscription management solutions; and
- additional site and user utilities.
- Selling courses online is key requirement for most online learning environments. Joomdle allows your Moodle courses to be sold through Hikashop, Mijoshop, Tienda, and Virtuemart. This permits you to leverage any of the payment gateways / processors supported by those shops, selling bundled Moodle courses, and combine Moodle courses with non-Moodle products on one order / invoice making easier for your customers to engage with you.
- Subscription Mgmt:
- Whether you are creating different student subscription plans or managing access access to various content, Joomdle integrates with AEC, Akeebabackup Subscripions, Ambra User Manager and Payplans to provide you with a convienient way of deploying varied student purchasing & membership plans.
If there are other Joomla extensions that you believe would add value to the Joomdle (Joomla / Moodle) Online Learning environment, please let the Joomdle Team know by adding your ideas / requests in the Joomdle forum.
All the extensions and their peripheries are not included in the Joomdle installation package. You will need to purchase, if necessary, download and install separately.
System Health Check
The most frustrating thing when installing new Joomla! extensions is when you spend all that time and effort searching and Googling for that perfect extension only to install and configure it, yet ending up with errors. We know, we have been there too. What's worse is that you have no where to turn. You've tried the in-depth documentation but don't know where to start. You posted in the community forum but its bed time in the country where the support is located.
Alas, the Joomdle System Health Check will help you identify the problem. With this nugget of information, you can quickly identify the most appropriate area within the documentation to resolve the problem yourself. Now that's what we call home medicine.
At the heart of Joomdle is a number of nerves that send messages back to the Joomdle brain when something doesn't quite feel right. Once alerted Joomdle checks for the mandatory requirements to keep it alive and ticking. Naturally Joomdle is not able to fix all the problems itself due to your systems security settings and preferred working environment.
Now we all know that prevention is better than cure. So why not, immediately after you install and configure Joomdle, visit your Joomdle System Health Check to ensure you have a clean system of health. It only takes a few seconds and will certainly save countless hours and frustration. Simple go to Admin → Components → Joomdle → System Check and look for the green checks and red crosses. And should you have any red crosses, simply visit the Joomdle Documentation Wiki and locate your specific error message displayed in the System Health Check.