× How To / General

User deletion through Moodle (privacy compliance)

1 month 3 weeks ago
Phoenix
More
Topic Author
User deletion through Moodle (privacy compliance) #1
Hello,

On my Joomla site, I have everything set up through a Joomla extension so that users who want to delete their account can send a request for it, a procedure required by the EU privacy laws. When the user's account is then deleted through that extension, Joomdle makes sure that the Moodle account is simultaneously deleted as well, as it should be.

Moodle also has a procedure like that built in. However, if a user were to request their account to be deleted through Moodle instead of through Joomla, then only the Moodle account is deleted and not the Joomla account.

The easiest solution would be to disable that function in Moodle and let everything run through Joomla instead, but that is apparently not possible: if I disable the function in Moodle, I also disable the download stored data function, which I can't do because then we're not in compliance with EU law for the Moodle area.

So my question is: can it be made possible in Joomdle that when a user requests their account to be deleted through Moodle, it will also be deleted on Joomla? I looked at the Joomdle settings in both Moodle and Joomla but I could not find anything.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 3 weeks ago
Antonio Durán
More
User deletion through Moodle (privacy compliance) #2
Hi.

In your testing, have you enabled "Sync users to Joomla" in Joomdle config in Moodle?
When this is enabled and you delete a user in Moodle, it is also deleted from Joomla.
I just tested a delete privacy request in Moodle, and user was correctly deleted in Joomla too.

1 month 3 weeks ago
Phoenix
More
Topic Author
User deletion through Moodle (privacy compliance) #3
Hello,

Thanks, I did not have that enabled, and I enabled it now.
Is this a fairly new setting that wasn't there in the past, or did I overlook it?

Either that, or I did know about it in the past and did not enable it for some other reason. What all else is possible with this option enabled?

For example, can a user change their username then? Because in Joomla, it is set that usernames cannot be changed by the users themselves for particular reasons.

Thanks!

1 month 3 weeks ago
Antonio Durán
More
User deletion through Moodle (privacy compliance) #4
This option is there almost since Joomdle started, but it is not that widely used, as most people prefer to centralize user management in Joomla, so it is not strange that you don't remember it.

This option enables all user sync from Moodle to Joomla: new accounts (if Joomdle auth method selected on user creation), profile updates, user deletion.

> can a user change their username then?

In Moodle, users cannot change their username (at least by default, I don't know if it is even possible).

1 month 3 weeks ago
Phoenix
More
Topic Author
User deletion through Moodle (privacy compliance) #5
Thanks for your reply.

I just wanted to make sure, because there were some settings I had to change over the years for certain essential things to work, and now I don't remember why I changed what LOL!

I looked with a test account and in Moodle it is indeed not possible to change username, nor email address. That is good!

What happens if a user changes their profile picture in Moodle? Will it change in Joomla too?

1 month 3 weeks ago
Antonio Durán
More
User deletion through Moodle (privacy compliance) #6
> What happens if a user changes their profile picture in Moodle? Will it change in Joomla too?

Yes, it should, if everything is set up correctly. What profile extension are you using in Joomla?

Also, you can, in Joomdle config in Moodle, Lock user fields section, disable user profile editing in Moodle.

1 month 3 weeks ago
Phoenix
More
Topic Author
User deletion through Moodle (privacy compliance) #7
I am using Community Builder for the profiles on my site.

I just checked, and it is impossible to "lock" the profile area of the profile pictures.

I also just tried to change a profile picture in Moodle. When going to the Community Builder profile page on Joomla, the new profile picture does show correctly. On the forums (Kunena) as well. However, when I go to the account settings (where I make changes to my profile in Community Builder) then the previous profile picture still shows.

1 month 3 weeks ago
Phoenix
More
Topic Author
User deletion through Moodle (privacy compliance) #8
Also a quick additional question:

I have mapped some additional profile fields just now. But I am wondering about these two buttons:

"Sync Moodle profiles" and "Sync Joomla profiles".

Which of these buttons syncs information from a Joomla profile toward a Moodle profile (and not the other way around)?
I can't find the information in the documentation pages.

Thanks!

1 month 3 weeks ago
Antonio Durán
More
User deletion through Moodle (privacy compliance) #9
Hi.

> I just checked, and it is impossible to "lock" the profile area of the profile pictures.

You can, but in other place:
docs.moodle.org/310/en/User_pictures#Updating_user_pictures k

I tested enabling that option, and I cannot edit pic in Moodle. I tested updating in CB, and it correctly updates in Moodle.

> However, when I go to the account settings (where I make changes to my profile in Community Builder) then the previous profile picture still shows.

You mean in the front end? It is showing correctly for me there...

> Which of these buttons syncs information from a Joomla profile toward a Moodle profile (and not the other way around)?

You don't need to use these, unless you need all the fields mapped right away to have the info in Moodle. Info will be synced when users update their profile.

"Sync Moodle profiles" will sync info from Joomla to Moodle.

1 month 3 weeks ago
Phoenix
More
Topic Author
User deletion through Moodle (privacy compliance) #10
Hello,

Thanks for that information. I enabled the option too so profile pictures can't be changed in Moodle, and tested it with a test account, and all works fine!

Thanks for the info on the buttons, it may be handy to put that information in the documentation on the Joomdle website :) I do need the button to sync from Joomla to Moodle, because I recently mapped several more fields for the first time, and I want that information to be already on the Moodle profiles too for the users to show consistency.

Thanks!