× Experiences & Stories

Please do NOT use this section of the forum to request help if Joomdle does not work for you in some particular way. Your post will be deleted.

Adding Video (Audio) streaming feature to Joomdle?

10 years 3 weeks ago
Benjamin Wang
More
Topic Author
Adding Video (Audio) streaming feature to Joomdle? #1
Does anyone have experience in adding Video (Audio) streaming feature to Joomdle?

Reading the following URLs, I learned that Video (Audio) streaming features can be added to Moodle. Does anyone know that they can work with Joomdle as well?

www.dokeos.com k
moodle.kaltura.org/ k
www.kaltura.org/ k
www.kaltura.org/project/moodle_plugin k
moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=3226&filter=1 k
www.kaltura.org/moodle-kaltura k
www.kaltura.org/kaltura-moodle-plugin k

Thanks

Benjamin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 2 weeks ago
Chris
More
Adding Video (Audio) streaming feature to Joomdle? #2
There are numerous ways to add video streaming into Joomla. There is a plugin to Kaltura as well. How do you intend to use the Videos? As part of a course? As a content block? What and where do you expect to see this in Joomla?

10 years 2 weeks ago
Benjamin Wang
More
Topic Author
Adding Video (Audio) streaming feature to Joomdle? #3
Chris,

What I have in mind is to use Kaltura to the Moodle or Joomdle as part of the course for Webinar/broadcasting purpose. Students can watch a flash/video stream/slide show at the same time.

What options do I have in term of "What and where do you expect to see this in Joomla"? I am not sure that I understand your question, So I don't know how to answer.

What other ways would you suggest beside a plugin to Kaltura to serve the purpose?

Thank you very much for the help.

10 years 2 weeks ago
Chris
More
Adding Video (Audio) streaming feature to Joomdle? #4
What I have in mind is to use Kaltura to the Moodle or Joomdle as part of the course for Webinar/broadcasting purpose. Students can watch a flash/video stream/slide show at the same time.

When you say Joomdle I assume you mean Joomla as Joomdle is an integrator and does not manage content itself.

When you say students can watch flash/video stream/slide show at the same time, you mean at the same time as completing the course? Or as part of the course?

You have a few choices:
1) Use any number of the commercial or open source video streaming servers that work with moodle, which includes kaltura. With this create a course and insert links to the video server.
2) User any number of commercial or open source video streaming servers that work with Joomla. Create a course and link to the video server
3) User any of the commercial or open source video management systems that link to youtube, google video, vimeo, etc.
4) Link to the video directly as a html

What you need to consider is:
- Do you with to make the videos secure / private or do you mind if others can see them. If you need them to be private you need to host them locally.
- Do you have the appropriate infrastructure in place to host videos. Some things to consider are: disk space, memory and APIs such as FFMPEG. Many if not most of the shared hosting environments will not allow you to have your own video hosting software.
- Do you need video editing capabilities such as kaltura
- Do you have sufficient bandwidth to cater for multiple video streaming connections. In many cases, it is better to host on the public servers and link to them reducing your need for bandwidth and places all bandwidth needs onto your customer.
- Are the videos to be accessible from Moodle only or also Joomla?
- Do you cater for students to make comments or even upload their own vidoes?
- What other video features are required such as: rating, comments, sorting, searching, advertising, random plays, etc etc.

As you can see when dealing with videos there is a lot to consider. If you can narrow down some of the issues, I can give some additional opinions.

Note: We are doing videos like this.
www.joomdle.com/en/community/62-chris/vi...alling+Moodle+Part+1 k

10 years 2 weeks ago
Benjamin Wang
More
Topic Author
Adding Video (Audio) streaming feature to Joomdle? #5
Dear Chris,

What is the better approach between the first two choices? 1) To use video streaming servers that work with Moodle to create a course and insert links to the video server, and 2) To use video streaming servers that work with Joomla to create a course and insert links to the video server.
Is it something related to “the videos to be accessible from Moodle only or also Joomla?”

I would like to make it public and/or private which depends on the roles of the users. www.wiziq.com k, WIZIQ provides a very good model for the concept which allows teachers, maybe students , to make comments or even upload their own videos. Video features are required such as: rating, comments, sorting, searching, advertising, random plays, etc.

It is a good idea to “host on the public servers and link to them reducing your need for bandwidth and places all bandwidth needs onto your customer. “ What are the mechanism that I can have in order to provide users with controlled access to the course, instead of open access to the non users hosting on public servers?

I am projecting with the loading of the server with 100 signup students/course x 30 sessions (courses)/week usage of simultaneous feed of a given course. Each course is limited to 2 hours/session.
500 randomly play per day. Is 100M a sufficient bandwidth for the above requirement?

Thanks for your insights,

Benjamin

10 years 2 weeks ago
Chris
More
Adding Video (Audio) streaming feature to Joomdle? #6
You have a number of good questions there and I am afraid that I will leave you with just as many rather than answers.

What is the better approach between the first two choices? 1) To use video streaming servers that work with Moodle to create a course and insert links to the video server, and 2) To use video streaming servers that work with Joomla to create a course and insert links to the video server.
Is it something related to “the videos to be accessible from Moodle only or also Joomla?”

It is difficult to say which is better. This comes down to your requirements. How you want your members to interact with your courses, your website and amongst themselves. This involves both accessibility, security, presentation, level of interaction, etc.

As a start I would look at the different modules available in both Joomla and Moodle and compare the functionalities.

That said, I can share how I would use videos. To me videos are not the course itself but a content type to be used in courses. Thus I would not keep videos in the course itself but rather link to them from the course. I would make videos available outside of the course so students can use / view / interact with them when they are not doing the 'official learning' as well. Eg. A random video play while I am in a forum, or games area. Of course some videos require security and thus the video software needs to be smart enough to allow permissions (group and user) based security that can integrate with your moodle security. Not sure if this exists today. As you said, videos should be allowed to have ratings, comments, etc. I do not allow video uploads but allow ppl to add links to videos leveraging the storage and bandwidth of the big boys such as youtube. Also, I find that the videos provide a good means for marketing to attract additional students.

I would like to make it public and/or private which depends on the roles of the users. www.wiziq.com k, WIZIQ provides a very good model for the concept which allows teachers, maybe students , to make comments or even upload their own videos. Video features are required such as: rating, comments, sorting, searching, advertising, random plays, etc.

The link didn't work for me. I tried it a few times each time with a negative response.

It is a good idea to “host on the public servers and link to them reducing your need for bandwidth and places all bandwidth needs onto your customer. “ What are the mechanism that I can have in order to provide users with controlled access to the course, instead of open access to the non users hosting on public servers?

If you host on a public network, then the videos are public. You may wish to consider some public/private combination. Whereby private videos you store locally or on your S3 server while public you link to thus saving the diskspace, bandwidth, CPU and memory.

I am projecting with the loading of the server with 100 signup students/course x 30 sessions (courses)/week usage of simultaneous feed of a given course. Each course is limited to 2 hours/session.
500 randomly play per day. Is 100M a sufficient bandwidth for the above requirement?

That is very hard to say. Do you really mean 100 simultaneous feeds. Ie 100 ppl viewing the videos at exactly the same time? Aside from that you need to look at the video length and viewing time as they are different because of ppls tendency to stop and go, video compression, level of interactivity if any, video format, etc. Also which software you choose to serve the videos with play a part on the start up time, quality of stream, etc.

Also is it really 100M bandwidth? Or do you mean 100M data transfer per month. 100M bandwidth is quite high and most hosting companies will not provide that much dedicated bandwidth to one customer. I would ask your hosting company what is the dedicated bandwidth, shared bandwidth and burstable bandwidth.

Sorry if I have presented more questions than answers, however, what you are implementing can be quite complicated. I suggest that you spend some time researching / review the options available to understand how they work and what features they offer. For me, I have spent easily more than 1 month of time installing, playing, removing, installing another, comparing, etc. the various approaches and I am still learning !

10 years 2 weeks ago
Benjamin Wang
More
Topic Author
Adding Video (Audio) streaming feature to Joomdle? #7
Sorry, the link should be www.wiziq.com/ k

10 years 2 weeks ago 10 years 2 weeks ago by Chris.
Chris
More
Adding Video (Audio) streaming feature to Joomdle? #8
Thanks for sharing the link. I had not seen that company before.

I assume you like the fact that people can upload quizzes, ppts, etc. while others can comment, vote, etc. If so, this is quite easy to do, no disrespect to Wiziq.com. The value in their service offering is not the video/ppt sharing but the community around it. They will naturally get customers at their website as they have a massive customer base using their authoring tools. Back to the features, as said technically you have a number of choices:

for example here at joomdle, we can
www.joomdle.com/en/community/64-antonio/...e+look+like+one+site k
load videos, make comments, share, vote, all the "web 2.0" stuff.
Also look at
extensions.joomla.org/extensions/multime...eo-players-a-gallery k

Look for those with components such as hwdVideoShare as they are full components and not just modules or plugins.

Of course there is Kaltura which has modules for both Joomla and Moodle and finally those listed in Moodle (around 5+ of them).