× Feature Requests

Please do NOT use this section of the forum to request help if Joomdle does not work for you in some particular way. Your post will be deleted.

[Closed] Select from multiple moodle databases to connect

12 years 1 month ago 8 years 11 months ago by Antonio Durán.
Guy
More
Topic Author
[Closed] Select from multiple moodle databases to connect #1
Hi,

We are looking to set up moodle with more than 1 database using the same or seperate source code so we can allow for different companies to use our learning material seperately to one another. I am wondering if it would be feasible to expand on Joomdle to allow the user to input which database they wanted to connect to along with their user name and password so that it would connect them to their specific companies LMS data?

We were looking to assign each company a code which will be used as the domain prefix (i.e google.moodle.com, yahoo.moodle.com etc...) as well as the name of their specific database. Therefore if the user input this along with their user name and password would it possible to expand Joomdle so it could log them into the corresponding moodle database?

Regards,

Guy
The topic has been locked.
12 years 1 month ago
Antonio Durán
More
[Closed] Select from multiple moodle databases to connect #2
Hi, I think right now what you want is not possible at all.

I say I think because I don't fully understand your request:
- do you mean you would have a central joomla and several Moodles?

This would need a lot of thinking before starting any work, as right now Joomdle offers a 1:1 relation between Moodle and Joomla.

I am moving this thread to feature requests, to continue discussion there.
12 years 1 month ago
Chris
More
[Closed] Select from multiple moodle databases to connect #3
Guy, Putting aside Joomdle for a moment

Do you have this working in Moodle today? How do you separate the course "original content" from the user generated content such as blogs, activities, homework, forum, etc.? Is this why you have multiple databases 1) a central repository for the "original" content and then multiple databases for user / company generated content?

Do you have this in Joomla today? Ie a central Joomla then replicated Joomla's for each company?
12 years 1 month ago
Guy
More
Topic Author
[Closed] Select from multiple moodle databases to connect #4
Thanks for your replys, in answer to Chris's questions we are setting up moodle following this post on the moodle forum k

The idea is to use Joomla to, along with other stuff, show the customers what we offer and allow them to choose how many modules they want to pay for for their staff. We then build them a database with only the modules they pay for and they can then use the LMS to upload their own content as well if neccessary.

We will be giving out the same learning content to multiple clients however from what i have read it is recommended that each database has its own moodledata folder to avoid data corruption, thus we shall be duplicating the same files for each client.

So the idea was to use Joomdle to create a single log in within our main Joomla site that would include this database variable that the user entered and then take the user through to the corresponding moodle database and log them in.

However i take it from Antonio's post that this would not be a simple extension to Joomdle so i think we will go down the road of not logging the user into the Joomla site and instead using a submitted text field to redirect the user to the correct site alias so they only then need log into their moodle database.

If you have any further thoughts i'd love to hear them, otherwise i really appreciate you guys taking the time to get back to me and allow me to move forward with this.

Best Regards,

Guy