× Feature Requests

Please do NOT use this section of the forum to request help if Joomdle does not work for you in some particular way. Your post will be deleted.

[Closed] Moodle Maintenance message

4 years 11 months ago 3 years 2 months ago by Antonio Durán.
Lisa Norman
More
Topic Author
[Closed] Moodle Maintenance message #1
This is just a feature request. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this...
Moodle likes to be updated frequently. I try to slip in and update it during the time between class sessions (our classes are month-long, but sometimes there is a day when everything is quiet...). Of course, those are the times when people are trying to register for classes.
Today I put Moodle into maintenance mode with a message about when the site would be back up. It didn't occur to me that this message would not be relayed via Joomdle. (In retrospect...what was I thinking???)
A student tried to register during the hour it took me (had a problem with the upgrade). She emailed the teacher, who emailed the assistant, who emailed the site owner (who KNEW I was doing maintenance!), who in turn emailed me. I finally got the email about 3 hours after the site was back up and gently suggested that since the ugly XMLRPC error said that the site was down for maintenance...that it had been briefly down and that she should try now.
I guess next time I'll put a module on the registration page with the estimated time for the maintenance.
But it would be slick if Moodle's maintenance mode message could be shown in the Joomla area when the Moodle half is undergoing the updates.
:silly:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 11 months ago
Antonio Durán
More
[Closed] Moodle Maintenance message #2
Hi.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, there's really no way to show Moodle message on Joomla. Instead, you should also put Joomla on manteinance mode while you upgrade Moodle. As the 2 platforms are connected, the best way to avoid problems is avoid having one running while the other is down.

4 years 11 months ago
Lisa Norman
More
Topic Author
[Closed] Moodle Maintenance message #3
Good point!