× Feature Requests

Please do NOT use this section of the forum to request help if Joomdle does not work for you in some particular way. Your post will be deleted.

[Closed] Some ideas

12 years 3 months ago 8 years 11 months ago by Antonio Durán.
red
More
Topic Author
[Closed] Some ideas #1
First of all, i must congratulate you for a job well-done!
i installed v0.22 and almost everything works perfectly (except for the wrapper).

I am sure you have much of this planned but it doesn't hurt to ask:

1) embed moodle's community tools inside joomla:
* User profile
* Private Messages
* last activities block
* user-list

2) it would nice to have a menu that lists the courses

3) have the blocks display using the list style so its compatible with block menus on joomla

4) some kind of SEF compatibility? using aliases?

id be glad to help with some coding if needed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 3 months ago 12 years 3 months ago by Chris.
Chris
More
[Closed] Some ideas #2
thanks for your comments.

Antonio is away this weekend so will not be able to respond to your wrapper issue. But to help speed up his response, what is the problem you are experiencing with the wrapper? It is working on this site and with the test site. Of course there are various levels of functionality one could achieve with a wrapper.

With regards to the additional features, we are just discussing this now so your input is timely.

1) embed moodle's community tools inside joomla:
* User profile
* Private Messages
* last activities block
* user-list

Yes, this is one area that makes sense.
* For the user profile there are different options.
1) Making the profile(s) visible and link through to edit. (Need to consider searching then too)
2) Syncronising user profiles with extensions such as Kunena, Jomsocial, etc.
3) Syncronising with user profiles in Joomla (ie J 1.6)
What did you have in mind?

* Private Messages. This would need to integrate to a 3rd party extension dedicated at this such as the uddeIM PMS or integrate to 3rd party extensions that have PMS in them again such as Kunena, Jomsocial, etc. Logically, it would seem using a uddeIM would be more appropriate. Your thoughts?

* Last Activities block would be presented through a module and/or plug-in for articles is my assumption. Explain if you have something different in mind.

* User-List would be require for profiles. There is an issue over permissions on this one because you may wish to restrict user lists to those in your class only or open to all, open to teachers, etc. This one may be best to wait for J1.6 or to use a social tool like jomsocial and syncronise lists into groups.

You can achieve this now in two ways. If you look at the demo menu here in Joomdle, you see "Course Lists". The other way, you could build a menu item link to each course topics like the "Demo/Course Topics". The specific course is configured through the menu item.

3) have the blocks display using the list style so its compatible with block menus on joomla

Sorry. Can you explain this or upload a pic of what you mean for this.

4) some kind of SEF compatibility? using aliases?

Agreed.

And finally, thanks for your offer to help. I will drop you a sep. email on this.

12 years 3 months ago
red
More
Topic Author
[Closed] Some ideas #3

Antonio is away this weekend so will not be able to respond to your wrapper issue. But to help speed up his response, what is the problem you are experiencing with the wrapper? It is working on this site and with the test site. Of course there are various levels of functionality one could achieve with a wrapper.

I will open a separate topic for the issue. it may be i have not defined something correctly

Yes, this is one area that makes sense.
* For the user profile there are different options.
1) Making the profile(s) visible and link through to edit. (Need to consider searching then too)
2) Syncronising user profiles with extensions such as Kunena, Jomsocial, etc.
3) Syncronising with user profiles in Joomla (ie J 1.6)
What did you have in mind?

well, since moodle itself has a hidden community, i would opt to start with embedding the original moodle profile in joomla, so that all login, profile stuff can be accessible through joomla. Infact, the moment i realized what moodle had, i uninstalled community builder. imho there is no point to a social component with moodle.

synching the profiles between joomla and moodle can be nice, but imho not as important since you can easily hide joomla's profile and get it over with.

* Private Messages. This would need to integrate to a 3rd party extension dedicated at this such as the uddeIM PMS or integrate to 3rd party extensions that have PMS in them again such as Kunena, Jomsocial, etc. Logically, it would seem using a uddeIM would be more appropriate. Your thoughts?

moodle has a private messaging system. why not use that? i think an extra messaging system will just confuse users.

* Last Activities block would be presented through a module and/or plug-in for articles is my assumption. Explain if you have something different in mind.

i was thinking about something more along the lines of the calendar, or a scrolling activity list as a block, just to make the site feel more "happening"

* User-List would be require for profiles. There is an issue over permissions on this one because you may wish to restrict user lists to those in your class only or open to all, open to teachers, etc. This one may be best to wait for J1.6 or to use a social tool like jomsocial and syncronise lists into groups.

I think such a community option is important for connecting between students, to show off your user count, and let users link people directly to their blogs. so rather than having the user list show private details of the students, let everybody/registered users see all avatars and nicknames in joomla, and from there on moodle should manage permissions on its own.

You can achieve this now in two ways. If you look at the demo menu here in Joomdle, you see "Course Lists". The other way, you could build a menu item link to each course topics like the "Demo/Course Topics". The specific course is configured through the menu item.

yes i have seen the block but it is not a joomla menu so i cannot use it in my top menu for instace, and the way to individually link courses is still not automatic. it could be very nice to have a menu item that recursively lists

Sorry. Can you explain this or upload a pic of what you mean for this.

most joomla skins use
<ul>
and
<li>
for styling lists (maybe they even have a special joomla css id). with the way it is presented now, its a bit "incompatible" with the joomla skin.

I think that moodle's convoluted community tools can easily be centralized and made more friendly using joomla. people will not have to go into their course to get private messages and be able to see the schools user list. new interested students will be able to see the amount of activity going on in the moodle site.

moodle is very bad at promoting the content it holds, and imo thats exactly where joomla steps in: it can organize it for potential students who want to "feel" the school without enrolling, it allows the site to show off its student community and content, and to index that material with search engines.

i think joomdles current course information features are invaluable in that sense, and with a bit of easy integration of moodles community capabilities and joomla's organization qualities, joomdle can become an amazing package.

thanks for the fast and attentive response!
Assaf

12 years 3 months ago 12 years 3 months ago by Chris.
Chris
More
[Closed] Some ideas #4
Thanks for your input. I don't want to reply to each topic in-line as it is going to get messy very quickly. My intention was to explore a few ideas and then open them up for general comment. And then your post came along ..... So I suspect I will be opening individual discussion areas sooner rather than later.

I believe I understand your thoughts and I think where we have a difference is from the perspective of where we see "the community" living. If I read your comments correctly ... eg use Moodle's community, private message, profile and make them available in Joomla effectively makes Joomla the make-up / presentation layer on top of Moodle. This assumes that most content would originate from Moodle and thus the desire to make it available to the Joomla audience.

My original thoughts were similar but from a different assumption. The Moodle community is a subset of the Joomla community. In fact, Joomla facilitates the community and we lead them off to moodle for classes much like a school / university / company.
  • One example of this would be a site say joomla.org with a vibrant community with Private Messaging, Discussions, Social Software, etc. and then "lead" them into moodle for taking classes on Joomla installation, development, etc. In this scenario I would not want all of my community to appear in Moodle except those taking classes.
  • A second example, would be a school. This school would consist of ppl (students, teachers, parents, volunteers, coaches, etc.), resources, and activities. Joomla would again support the community with football leagues, commerce for selling books, discussions, social networking tools, blogs, etc. And again, when I am ready to take a course I lead them to Moodle for that ie one activity. Of course to make this seamless, I pull appropriate content from Moodle to compliment Joomla's content for "me".

I will open individual discussion topics shortly ....

12 years 3 months ago
red
More
Topic Author
[Closed] Some ideas #5
Hi chris

Thanks for the quick and serious reply. I think we view the integration in a similar way, except for the community implementation part.

First of all i do assume that moodle is going to naturally generate allot content that a school would like to show-off. after all this is what the school sells.
I have no doubt that joomla should handle any "non-educational" material like shops, galleries, download sections, free articles.

however in regard to the social software, my feeling is that having two different forum systems, two different profiles, and messaging system will just confuse students, decentralize material, make it harder to find what one is looking for and create a potential administration overload. I cant think of any reason to duplicate the functions of a system, or to exchange moodle's community functions with various joomla extensions, especially with the poor quality of joomla's social extensions.

I do agree with the idea that moodle is the classroom, and thats exactly why i would like to move those social functions over to joomla. Moodle has more community tools than any joomla extension: forums, profiles, blogs, private messages, user groups, social network (well that part can even be developed a bit with another moodle module)

for instance: it is possible to create school - wide forums on moodle, but you can show these forums just through joomla if you wish . each student can have his own blog - which is something that is currently hard to share and index with moodle. joomla can fix this easily, and provide the exact separation you are writing about.

My personal experience with joomla is that its great for content management, but not so good for communities. especially not big and active ones like a school. Moodle is built just for that. why not take advantage of that?

on my school site i have only 3 extensions:
joomdle
sh404sef
shop

and already it has any function i can think of, just not always in the correct location.

I would love to hear your thoughts about this.

12 years 3 months ago
Antonio Durán
More
[Closed] Some ideas #6
Hi. I haven't had time to go through all your conversation yet, but I was already working on SEF, and just completed a first try.
I thought that it might be worth it to listen to your comments on it, if you have the time to test.

We don't have anything setup for code collaboration yet, so I just post here a modified version with SEF compatibility.

I don't know why, but maybe you will need to edit your menu items and save again (without doing anything) after turning on SEF. Then everything should work :)

I just made it to work (or so I think) but maybe there are some things missing (for example the mentioned need of re-save) because I don't know if I fully understand the SEF routing mechanism in Joomla, so if you notice anything, I will be happy to hear it :)

Antonio

Attachment com_joomdle.gz not found

Attachments:

12 years 2 months ago
red
More
Topic Author
[Closed] Some ideas #7
it gives me the following error:

Error! Could not find an XML setup file in the package.

Btw, you could install SVN, it makes it easy to track changes.

12 years 2 months ago
Antonio Durán
More
[Closed] Some ideas #8
Sorry, I did not update this. It turns out that kunena messes up tar.gz files.

In this thread you can download a zip version:
joomdle.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...imitstart=10&lang=en k