× R0.30 Support

How to enable XML-RPC in php.ini?

9 years 11 months ago
monita
More
Topic Author
How to enable XML-RPC in php.ini? #1
Hello
I have installed joomdle. I think everything's correct except the fact that XML-RPC hasn't been enabled on my LInux shared hosting account at Godaddy. I get the following error when I click system check:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function xmlrpc_encode_request() in /home/content/h/u/m/...../html/....../administrator/components/com_joomdle/helpers/content.php on line 153

I contacted Godaddy and they said that xml-rpc is already installed on my server. I just need to enable it by supplying correct command in my php.ini file. This is how my php.ini file looks like:

register_globals = off
allow_url_fopen = off

expose_php = Off
max_input_time = 60
variables_order = "EGPCS"
extension_dir = ./
upload_tmp_dir = /tmp
precision = 12
SMTP = relay-hosting.secureserver.net
url_rewriter.tags = "a=href,area=href,frame=src,input=src,form=,fieldset="

[Zend]
zend_extension=/usr/local/zo/ZendExtensionManager.so
zend_extension=/usr/local/zo/4_3/ZendOptimizer.so

On google research, I found that I need to probably add this line to this file...
extension=php_xmlrpc.so

I added but it's stil not working. Can you guyz please tell me the exact code that I need to put in my php.ini file to enable xml-rpc? Godaddy says that they do not provide coding support so I 'm just helpless. I don;'t know php at all. Guyz, please help me....
Thanks n regards,
Monita

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 11 months ago
Chris
More
How to enable XML-RPC in php.ini? #2
The first thing I would do is confirm that your hosting account does in fact support xml-rpc. I spoke with various people at godaddy at length a few months ago and they informed me they do not support xml-rpc on their shared hosting accounts. Here is an extract of their confirmation message:

Discussion Notes
Support Staff Response
Dear Chris,
Thank you for contacting Online Support.
Unfortunately PHP libraries XMLRPC are not available on our shared hosting. If these libraries are absolutely need for you instance for these applications these libraries are only available on our Virtual Dedicated and Dedicated servers.

Of course their support for XMLRPC may have changed - this email was July 25, 2010. But do note that I got different answers depending on who I spoke to. In the end, I had to speak with about 4 different ppl to finally get a confirmation of such.

9 years 11 months ago
Brian
More
How to enable XML-RPC in php.ini? #3
chris wrote:

The first thing I would do is confirm that your hosting account does in fact support xml-rpc. I spoke with various people at godaddy at length a few months ago and they informed me they do not support xml-rpc on their shared hosting accounts. Here is an extract of their confirmation message:

Discussion Notes
Support Staff Response
Dear Chris,
Thank you for contacting Online Support.
Unfortunately PHP libraries XMLRPC are not available on our shared hosting. If these libraries are absolutely need for you instance for these applications these libraries are only available on our Virtual Dedicated and Dedicated servers.

Of course their support for XMLRPC may have changed - this email was July 25, 2010. But do note that I got different answers depending on who I spoke to. In the end, I had to speak with about 4 different ppl to finally get a confirmation of such.

Hi Chris,

I have recieved the following message form the Godaddy Support team:

Dear Brian,

Thank you for contacting Online Support. This extension is available for your shared hosting account. However, we cannot assist you with using this as we do not provide technical support with third-party scripting issues. We are very limited in the support we can offer for customer-written code or scripts. If there is evidence that our system is responsible for an error, please forward it to us, and we would be happy to look into the matter further. But at the moment this does not appear to be the case, so we regret we can not assist you further with this issue.

Please let us know if we can assist you in any other way.

Sincerely,
Joey P.
Online Support Team

However, when I check the moodle installation "PHP Info" area the only referance to XML is:
xml
XML Support active
XML Namespace Support active
libxml2 Version 2.6.26

xmlreader
XMLReader enabled

xmlwriter
XMLWriter enabled

xsl
XSL enabled
libxslt Version 1.1.17
libxslt compiled against libxml Version 2.6.26
EXSLT enabled
libexslt Version 1.1.17

I don't see any referance to the XML-RPC. I will contact godaddy again as this should be avaiable becuase they offer moodle as a "One-click Hosting Applications"

Brian

9 years 11 months ago
Chris
More
How to enable XML-RPC in php.ini? #4
Yes it is offered as a one click. But this does not imply they support XMLRPC. Similarly, for Video uploading ffmpeg is required on many moodle and joomla extensions but Godaddy does not support that php extension either.

Is this a new godaddy account?

9 years 11 months ago
Brian
More
How to enable XML-RPC in php.ini? #5
I've had the godaddy account for about 6 months now. You would think that they would ensure that the application they are offering as a one click is compatible with extensions that they advise are enabled....

I have created another ticket providing them with the phpinfo from the one click iinstallation that does not show the xml-rpc section. I have also modified the php.ini file and added an entry that is supposed to enable the extension. I have to wait for another 9 hours though before I find out if that works...

Cheers

9 years 11 months ago
Brian
More
How to enable XML-RPC in php.ini? #6
Well, that was not very helpful. There responses are actually quite frustrating, it's like a bot on the other end generating standard responses. I have asked them to provide evidence that it is enabled (looking forward to their response to that one)

Correct me if I am wrong, I suspect that I should see an entry within the following seciton that idicates that xml-rpc is enabled? (PHPINFO)

Configure Command './configure' '--enable-fastcgi' '--prefix=/usr/local/php5' '--with-config-file-path=/web/conf' '--disable-posix' '--enable-bcmath' '--enable-calendar' '--with-curl=/usr/bin/curl' '--with-gdbm' '--enable-exif' '--enable-ftp' '--with-gd' '--with-freetype-dir=/usr' '--with-jpeg-dir=/usr' '--with-png-dir=/usr/bin/libpng-config' '--enable-gd-native-ttf' '--with-gettext' '--with-mcrypt=/usr/bin/libmcrypt-config' '--with-mhash' '--with-mysql=/usr' '--with-mysqli=/usr/bin/mysql_config' '--with-openssl' '--with-pdo-mysql=/usr' '--with-pspell' '--enable-soap' '--enable-wddx' '--with-xsl' '--with-zlib' '--enable-mbstring' '--enable-zip'

9 years 11 months ago
Brian
More
How to enable XML-RPC in php.ini? #7
Hi Chris,

Here is the most recent update form godaddy:
I have verified with our Advanced Support team that XMLRPC is enabled on all Linux hosting accounts by default. However, the function can only be used through Pear. If your script is not accessing the function through Pear, it will not be able to properly call XMLRPC for use.

Again, you should not have to add any lines to your php5.ini to enable this feature.

Christopher G.

DOes this mean that joomdle will not work on godaddy?

Regards,
Brian

9 years 11 months ago
Chris
More
How to enable XML-RPC in php.ini? #8
I will need to speak with Antonio on the exact method in which XML-RPC is being invoked. But what I can tell you is this is not an issue specific to Joomdle. Joomdle leverages the technologies available in Joomla and Moodle. Thus if Joomdle has a problem, so will other Joomla / Moodle extensions that require XML-RPC. I believe your Moodle shows that XML-RPC is not enabled as well?

To check, what I know is that we can use the php info, in Joomla or Moodle, to validate. You should see 6 mentions of xmlrpc (if you do a search on the page in Joomla). The specific mentions you are looking for are documented here:
www.joomdle.com/wiki/Prerequisites#PHP_Prerequisites k

I can appreciate your frustration with the Godaddy responses. While, I used them almost exclusively for my domains, I moved away because of the different responses from them regarding such. As shared, a number of their staff told me similar until I pressed them. Eventually the Advanced Support Team came back with a sorry they do not support. It could well be that the person who finally told me was incorrect.

9 years 11 months ago
Brian
More
How to enable XML-RPC in php.ini? #9
Thanks Chris,

I can confirm that the expected entries are not present within Joomla or Moodle.

Brian

9 years 11 months ago
Antonio Durán
More
How to enable XML-RPC in php.ini? #10
Sorry, what it won't work there, as Joomdle does not use the PEAR packages, but the native PHP one.

I saw that happening to one client, and he finally moved to another hosting company.